Archaeological excavations at the Saalburg began in 1853. The finds were initially kept in Homburg Castle and, after the death of the last Landgrave Ferdinand in 1866, became the private property of Grand Duke Ludwig II of Hesse-Darmstadt, who had them transported to Darmstadt.
The Saalburg Association was founded in Homburg in 1872. The aim of the association was to support research into the fort and the Roman settlement and to create its own museum for the finds. A first step was taken with the construction of the grave house in 1872. Inside, the Roman tombs should be presented with respect. The temple-like structure was built in the middle of the burial ground of the Roman settlement along the Roman road to Nida, today's Frankfurt-Heddernheim.
It was not until 1878 that the collection was returned from Darmstadt to Homburg through the intervention of Empress Friedrich, the mother of the later Emperor Wilhelm II. The city made the large room of the former coffee shop in the Kurhaus available to set up a museum. The museum and its first curator, Louis Jacobi, celebrated the opening on July 27, 1879.
In 1897, Kaiser Wilhelm II announced the reconstruction of the Saalburg and wanted to set up Germany's central Limes Museum there. Because of the constant increase in finds from the excavations and numerous foundations such as the finds from the excavations in Stockstadt in 1902 and the collection of Consul Niessen from Cologne in 1905, the Horreum building was built for this purpose and opened in 1907.
By order of the Prussian Minister of Culture, the finds from the 45 km long Taunus route were awarded to the Saalburg Museum. To this day, the finds from the Zugmantel, Kleiner Feldberg and Saalburg forts, as well as the Limes sections in between, form the focus of the exhibition.